Friday, September 26, 2008

Rain...

Wednesday and Thursday we took off from working outside to work, yup, you guessed it, inside! The house cleaning had gotten a little neglected with all of our efforts being put into prepping. Today we are doing more priming and starting to cover the windows with plastic. Soon we will feel like we are walking around in one of those bedding display areas with the windows that have the light shining through the plastic...

Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Monday's Prepping (3b)

We had to caulk each seam between two boards and around each window. Tyler, Andrew and I spent three hours doing it on Saturday and Tyler and Andrew spent about 4 hours on Monday. The boys got to be quite good at it.

Just some of the debris going to the burn pile!

Posted by Picasa

Monday's Prepping (3a)

On Monday our focus for prepping the house to paint was replacing all of the cracked cedar boards. Scott with the help of the rest of the boys replaced about 400 feet of cracked siding.


Daniel working on priming the fresh boards.
Daniel was pretty excited with how he could walk around on the platform with out being scared. It was a little wiggly!
Posted by Picasa

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Saturday's Prepping (2)

Here Daniel is bleaching the gutters on the second story. He wants to make sure that everyone knows how high up he is on the ladder. It was rather a time consuming process as we had to move the ladder very 3 feet or so. I was the ladder mover and ladder stabilizer. So mostly that means I stood on the bottom rung of the ladder to make it more secure. For the whole afternoon. Somebody has to do the hard work around here!
Posted by Picasa

Prepping the house to get painted (1)

Posted by Picasa
Daniel getting ready to bleach the gutters

Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Rhodendrons gone!


Last Saturday Tyler and Dad took out the rhodedendron bushes around the house. The former owners had about 12 rhodendrons planted along two sides of the perimeter of our yard. We had decided to take them out as it took a lot of hours to weed in between them. Herbicides are not an option on our farm! The previous owners used them and we are still feeling the effects five years later. While we normally would not complain about no weeds it is rather disturbing that after five years some flower beds still have no weeds growing.


Dad tightening the chain around the rhodendron bush.

Hooking the end of the chain onto the tractor bucket.


The bucket starting to lift up.




Up and over the fence to get carted away to the burn pile.


You can see the rams watching in the background. They really want to be on the other side of the fence. Not because it is greener, but because their lady friends are over there...